Every Tuesday, sales expert Andy Bounds shares his top tips to improve your sales and communications. This week’s is…
Make “update” meetings more interesting
Do you find “update” meetings boring?
I know they are useful, and that they can contain important messages and interactions, but they sure can drag on sometimes. For instance, do you recognise any of these?
• People talk too long
• Most of the content isn’t interesting and/or relevant
• There’s not enough emotion. People say “I’m working on X”, instead of “I’m excited by X… worried about Y”
• There’s not enough future focus – too much updating about the past, not enough “Next week, I’ll be working on Z”
• Not enough discussion: “updates” can often be little more than a series of monologues
To remedy this, here’s one of my techniques that’s proving very popular with my clients. Instead of having an update meeting, host a LION meeting, where everyone has a short time (maybe only 1-2 minutes) to cover four topics:
Last week, I said I’d do X. What happened was…
Improve – one thing that’s gone well is…
Obstacle – one thing which I’d like people’s advice on is…
Next week I’m working on…
Feedback is that this approach removes most, if not all, of the five problems outlined above, because everyone speaks:
• Quickly – they have two minutes max
• With passion – the I and O ensure people discuss what’s good/bad, rather than relaying facts
• With future focus and momentum – because this week’s N, (“next week I’m doing…”) becomes next week’s L (“last week I said…”)
And, of course, the rest of the meeting is much more engaging, interesting and inclusive. People learn from each other’s successes. They give guidance on each other’s obstacles. They converse, rather than simply waiting for their turn to speak.
If you have update meetings, and they work fantastically well, every time, there may be no actions from this week’s Tip.
However, if they can drag on, why not ask people to use LION for a few meetings, and see what impact it has?
Want to receive Tuesday Tips every week? Please click here
Know people who’d benefit from reading this Tip? Please forward it on.
Did you find this Tip useful? Please click here and let Andy know.
Emma Merry(PA): +44 (0) 7900 217 929
T: +44 (0) 151 231 6110
F: +44 (0) 151 231 6118